Community Health Worker
Location: Nevada, Rural Douglas and Mineral County
Community Health Workers are trained public health workers who serve as a bridge between communities, health care systems, and state health departments. CHWs in the center assist vulnerable clients in advocating for services, scheduling appointments, and monitoring key health indicators.
- GED/High School Degree preferred
- Community Health Worker Certification (acquired within 60 days of employment)
- Minimum two-hours (2) quarterly continuing competency training, in addition to peer support training if dually certified
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Advocate for clients to access needed services;
- Assist in educational activities to promote compliance and adherence to needed services;
- Provide individualized and group life skills through interventions to clients in obtaining their health objectives to restore the individual to their highest level of functioning;
- Co-facilitate groups/classes to support improved health outcomes for clients;
- Teach others about managing their mental and physical health;
- Support clients in learning how to make good choices for themselves;
- Work closely with Care Coordinator to engage clients in appropriate services and resources that assist in care coordination;
- Promote client engagement in therapy with clinicians, engagement with psychiatric appointments, and compliance with healthcare system through appropriate social and communication skills;
- Attend treatment planning meetings as needed to effectively mentor individuals care;
- Attend crisis management team meetings to effectively engage clients; and
- Document and schedule in electronic health record.
- Person-centered, family-centered, recovery-oriented care;
- The ability to recognize your own limitations and respond to difficult situations;
- Good communication skills;
- Display enthusiasm, respect and flexibility in the work place;
- The ability to collaborate with colleagues and community partners from other disciplines;
- The ability to adhere to all privacy and confidentiality policies; and
Employee will be expected to participate in continuous learning, competency building and maintenance of competency skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in structured environments.
Reports to and is supervised directly by the Program Supervisor. Employee is also accountable for understanding and complying with CPLC policies and procedures.